About Me

My photo
I have two Bachelor of Arts' degrees from Southeast Missouri State University, an English degree with an option in Writing and a Mass Communication degree with an emphasis in Journalism. I also have a minor in Spanish. I am proficient in Spanish, AP Style, Microsoft Office Suite, Pages Office Suite, Adobe InDesign, and Adobe Photoshop.

Born of Persuasion

*May Contain What You Consider Spoilers*

Julia Elliston has recently lost her mother and father. She has a guardian who wants to send her to Scotland to be a servant, which she views as beneath her station. The daughter of a famed atheist, she hates the church and everything part of it, which contributes to her inability to pick Edward, who seems to be her true love. She instead develops a crush on Macy. However, Julia seems to suffer from a lack of self-esteem, and in my opinion, she seems to fall for any guy who gives her attention. Unfortunately, due to her upbringing, I'm not surprised.

Although it had a few flaws, this novel definitely kept me on the edge of my seat. While I would have preferred Julia's story to be complete by the end of the novel and the next novel be about Elizabeth and Henry - who definitely deserve a novel of their own - it does make me want to read the next in the series.

Another con is that I know her mother hid things from her, but Julia struck me almost a weak figure, consumed by money and a desire for a place in society. She constantly needed Edward to save her, or needed Macy's protection (or so he said). However, for a woman of the time, she's a fantastic example of the upper crust of society in that time period. Also, she struck me as a character who would dig a little deeper and snoop around Macy's belongings, but she really didn't. She had to be told all the information, she didn't go find any herself. I was a little disappointed about that character portrayal, which I didn't think fit her.